Tuesday, July 2, 2013

I Love You, Man

You know that feeling when you get just a little too tipsy and you start telling all your friends, "I love you, man.  No, I mean, I reeeally love you."?  That is how I feel, all the time, when I am with my Burs.

The Burs are just, well, they're great people.  That's the first reason.  They are really and truly those kind of genuine, caring, good hearted, conscientious people who take good care of their kids, work hard at their jobs, and do the right things.  We have deep discussions as a group about education, child rearing, work ethic, local politics.  As I am fond of saying, the Burs are "good eggs."

But it's not just that.  They make me laugh.  Not just a little bit.  Not a chuckle here and there, a laugh or two when we get together.  No, no.  I mean deep in the belly, "stop-stop-I'm-going-to-pee" laughing.  We have now been friends long enough (once Brian had finally decided that we, The Halls, could be his two new friends) that we have ridiculous stories to tell and get ourselves going.  Like the time we went to a Tigers' game and, when Bri caught a ball, he yelled out, "I have four kids!"  We can talk about Brian having a hard time picking out a shell at Becca's baptism, about Doniel needing toothpicks to hold her eyes open if she's been drinking, about the time "we" went karaoking (but I was the only one dumb enough to sing), about happening upon live wrestling in Mackinaw City, about the girls always beating the boys at cards, about Brian looking naked in our pictures at the cabin. 

We also have made quite a few traditions.  Annual events, we say.  New Year's Eve (even though Eric can no longer do an impression of Dick Clark).  Going to the Mackinaw City Memorial Day parade lets me know that, yes, it's true, summer is coming.  Walking across the State Street Bridge on Labor Day lets me know that, yes, it's true, summer has come to an end.  On Halloween, we get together to trick-or-treat downtown, then hit BC Pizza together.  One weekend in November, we go to Traverse City (although, maybe someday it'll be Saginaw?) and go Christmas shopping.  We eat out, stay in a hotel, christen the meeting room, pretend to play cards, buy stuff for the kids, and return home rejuvenated for the holidays to begin.  Usually, on these trips, Bri comes up with some sort of music trivia, that even he himself cannot answer.  The Marshall Tucker Band, really, Bri? The first Saturday in December, we stand together, FREEZING, and watch the Cheboygan Christmas parade.  Just this past weekend, we went on a boat ride down the Cheboygan River and Black River.  Doniel said, "Let's make it an annual event!"  I think it'll have to be a little more often than that!


And then there's the fact that, well, they just feel like family to me.  When we're on a trip, Eric and I see souvenirs we'd like to get the Burs (Bri, I almost bought you squirrel underwear when I was in Saugatuck, to go with your "Helllllo, Ladies!" sign!).  When Eric and I have a fight, I want to talk to Doniel about it.  When there were crises in the Bur family, Doniel told me.  I've never had a sister, but I feel like I can rely on Doniel like one: even if she doesn't agree with me, she'll support me and still love me in the end. 

I have been blessed, in my life, to have many exceptional friendships.  Doniel and I once talked about how, as your life changes and you grow, your friendships change.  Friends drift apart, friends grow closer.  I told her how much I seem to always get hurt, when my frirends and I drift apart.  "It's not you," she said.  "It's just how friendships work.  Who your friends are depends on where you are in your life.  It's just that you always love so intensely, Laura Hall."

It's true.  I am a heart on my sleeve kind of gal.  Perhaps someday, the Burs and Halls will have different needs, and will have to drift apart.  But, for now, we're close, and in that, I am so very blessed.  Burs, I hope you know, even when I'm not drinking, I love you, man.  No, I mean I really, reeeeeeally love you.  Both.  Are my eyes all the way open?

No comments:

Post a Comment